Sunday, January 22, 2012

21 Day Paleo Challenge: DAY 21! & Korma Recipe

Before I get started, I really wanted to share this blog post I read today called: Everything In Moderation: The Long Road To Nowhere. You should probably read this. ;)

Ok! It's day 21!!! I made it! Obviously I'm not excited at all. ;) I was remembering this morning about my sophomore year in college when I tried to be a vegetarian: worst (food) experience of my life. Uh! I always felt hungry and I was constantly sad that the person next to me was eating a juicy steak and I was eating rice & beans-no thank you! That being said, it's amazing how different this experience has been from that one. I look forward to every meal (and snack if I have one). I never feel bloated or weighed down or like I have to limit myself or worry, "am I eating too much?" I feel like my body has a new normal. I no longer have a desire to eat those "non-primal" foods. I look forward to things like avocados, lamb and bacon of course! Cutting out all those foods that aren't good for my body has forced me into eating more vegetables without me even realizing it. I say forced, but I mean that in a good way. I dropped a whopping 9 lbs in 3 weeks and I'm amazed because I truly never felt as though I was on a "diet" or even trying. The thing about "diets" is that they are never a good idea unless it is something you can sustain for life. And I now KNOW that living primaly and eating a paleo/primal diet is something I can sustain for the long haul. Frankly, at this point, the idea of eating a piece of bread makes me cringe. I'm not saying I don't like the taste, but knowing how it will affect my body makes me not even want to go near it. 

Even though my 21 day challenge is finished, my journey has just begun. I'm going to continue to challenge myself with food, fitness, and helping others who want to make a change in the right direction. I am looking forward to watching the changes in my mom and brother as they continue on their primal journeys as well. Maybe 6 months or a year down the road we can submit a family success story to Marks Daily Apple. I am so proud of myself, and my family and friends who have expressed interest in embracing this lifestyle. So until tomorrow, Grok on!

Breakfast: ham & mushroom omelet made with 3 eggs and bacon fat & 1/2 a grapefruit.

Lunch: leftover green beans with pesto butter shrimp scampi-find this recipe here.
Now for dinner and a Recipe: Navrathan Korma
I did not write down exact amounts of ingredients: but when my husband decides to get out of bed I will ask him and up date this post.

First peas, green beans & carrots were cooked in water until soft. In another pan Start with olive oil & diced sweet onion then add ginger paste, cashews & yellow raisins.
Then add a whole bunch of spices: ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, garam marsala, chili powder, red curry powder, ground coriander, ginger & chili paste.
Navrathan Korma
Next add coconut milk, mushrooms, 1/4 cup heavy cream, tomato paste & tomato puree.  Then add all the cooked veggies.
We also made more tikka masala tonight.

Dinner: a bowl of chicken tikka masala & a bowl of navrathan korma.

Snack: I got a new chocolate bar since I finally finished the last one-ate about 3 squares from this 85% cocoa organic chocolate bar. Also had about 10oz of red wine.

Day 1 Weight: 132 lbs,            Day 21 Weight: 123 lbs

9 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you felt. I tried veganism a few times. The last time I did it I blogged about it:
    http://fishesgomeow.blogspot.com/

    I had been vegan before, but I realized it wasn't the right diet for me. I was still having problems with my stomach and I always felt tired and foggy. One day I went out and got some fish and elk and ate it all. I felt better instantly.

    I attempted to do a raw food challenge for a week. My stomach felt all kinds of amazing, but I had headaches and was feeling dizzy. I like paleo because it's a high veggie diet combined with meat. It's the best of both worlds.

    I'm glad you found something that works for you! I feel that paleo is right for me also. I had a minor setback today, but I'm not going to let that ruin this. Paleo is the best thing that's ever happened to me diet-wise. I'm so happy for you and also happy to have found it for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, it's the best (diet) thing that has ever happened to me! Thank goodness for the internet! ha. I couldn't survive with out MDA. It's the most encouraging, positive and motivating community!

      Delete
  2. Your breakfast looks great...I cannot get enough grapefruit lately, they are just SO good right now! Congrats on day 21!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it through the 21 days. Paleo intrigues me though I feel pretty good with my current nutritional habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison! I understand that. It intrigued me for an entire year until I finally decided to give it a go. Glad I did!

      Delete
  4. You look great. I find eating paleo very easy. It's not even.something I have to think about. I keep it simple. I cook up what ever meats I want to eat for a few days, cut and cook some veg's and wash plenty of salad stuff. The rest is easy, stuffed celery and such. I feel great. No bloating or swelling, that's the parts I love the most. I am on day 10 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paleo really intrigues me, especially since I'm already off of gluten. The only thing that worries me is the very low carb and distance running - I start training for my 2nd half marathon next week and it doesn't seem like paleo and running really go together? I think I might base my lunches/dinners off of paleo next week and see how that goes - I should have done the 21 day challenge last month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paleo doesn't necessarily go with long distance running but you can totally just eat some more carbs those days like sweet potatoes!

      Delete